Recently I started getting a lot of emails regarding the quietest drones. How can we make them quieter? Are there any DIY techniques and much more? So, I thought of writing this article for those who love drones but hate the noise simultaneously.
A NASA study found that the sound of drones is more annoying than the rumble of buses and trucks. It was concluded that humans have become used to these vehicle noises. Though the noise of drones is far lesser in decibels than some vehicles’ sound, still, it’s more annoying.
In the Study, NASA researchers played the different samples of pre-recorded audios and asked them to rate the sound, which is annoying, and surprisingly, they rated drone sound more annoying than the sound of buses and trucks. You can read more about NASA Drone Sound Experiment over here.
Drones are some of the best inventions of our century. Their applications and future possibilities can transform human lives.
Making a completely soundproof drone is quite impossible, but we have a few drones that produce very little sound. Though not everybody complains about the sound, it could irritate many people.
If you are especially into filmmaking, then a noisy drone could be a problem.
The noise in the drone is coming because of the propellers, and sometimes build quality of the drone can also be a decisive factor in its noise level.
Several companies have started manufacturing quiet drones. Below are some of the benefits of owning a quiet drone.
Benefits of a Quiet Drone
It can irritate your neighbors if you fly a drone daily. The sound of the drone can be an issue for the people and animals living in your surroundings.
It can also cause unrest among birds and animals living in trees. So, if you are going to fly the drone near a living being, you better buy one that produces the least noise.
Future is silent
Many companies are working hard to make deliveries possible through drones. And you make something noise as they are, it’s going to be a big problem.
To use them for pick and drop off objects, you have to make quieter drones.
However, it might look cool to see an autonomous flying bot coming for delivery, but its noise would be irritating at the same time. So in the future, we will see a lot of silent drones coming into the market.
If you want to capture nature’s sound, it isn’t easy because of these humming propellers. So, if the drone is silent, it can help you capture the sound of birds, trees, wind from a completely different angle. Especially in filmmaking, there is a much need for this type of drone.
How Do We Measure the Noise Level of a Drone?
The sound is captured in decibels. And every single increment in decibel number makes the sound three times noisier. In simple words, a decibel ratio defines the sound pressure on the human ear.
Asking which sound is irritating is a bit subjecting because the human perception of sound varies. What might be irritating for someone could be soothing for others? The threshold of the ear also varies from person to person.
Take music, for instance. A type of music you like, your friends might not like. Same works with the sound of the drone. It could not be very pleasant for some, while it can be like any other normal sound for others.
There are no specific regulations when it comes to drone noise. However, European Aviation Safety has certain guidelines. If a drone is flying 3 meters away, the noise level should be less than 80 decibels.
Below are some of the most popular drones and their noise level in decibels.
- DJI Phantom 4 Pro: 90Db
- DJI Mavic Pro: 84Db
- DJI Spark: 81Db
- DJI Mavic Air: 78Db
- DJI Mavic Pro Platinum: 77Db
- DJI Mavic 2: 76Db
- Parrot ANAFI: 72Db
How to Make a Quadcopter Quiet | DIY
People also have been asking about how to make a drone quiet. What can be done regarding motors and propellers?
If you want the least noise, you can go for a mini-drone. They are just for fun and produce far less noise than other popular drones.
Though, Some Users said by using the propeller guards helped them to reduce the sound.
While others said quad frames sometimes amplify the sound, you can remove the stickers and other extra stuff to decrease the little noise. I recently stumbled upon this funny thread on DJI Forum that you can also check.
Making Drone Quieter | A DIY Experiment
Top 5 Quietest Drones That You Can Buy
1- Force1 F100 Ghost Drone – Best Budget & Silent Drone Under $100
This is one of the quietest drones that you can use in 2022. This comes with a 1080P Camera. You also get extra batteries with this long-range RC Quadcopter.
It comes with brushless motors that make it one of the quietest drones in the market. There is also an option for mounting Go Pro that gives it an edge over other drones.
Its dimensions are 16.6 x 13 x 6.2 inches, and it weighs around 2.2 pounds, making it a bit heavy, though. But, the drone is pretty inexpensive and gives you decent performance.
- You get two-speed modes with the drone so that you can control it at your disposal. If you are a beginner, you can go for low speed and higher speed if you already have drone flying experience.
- A Brushless motor does two important things: it makes the drone quieter and increases drone efficiency by giving a better flight duration. You can fly it for up to 15 mins.
- The drone is recommended for 14+. It comes with propeller guards and landing gear, making the drone safer to fly and land.
Is this ready to fly a drone? Or do I have to any pre-flight preparation is required?
Yeah, it is ready to fly a drone. Just Sync the remote with a drone, and you are ready to take it off.
How’s the customer service of the company?
It’s pretty good. If you see any problem within the warranty period, you can call them. They are very quick in response.
How long does it take to get the battery fully charged?
It takes 2 hours to get the batteries fully charged.
Does it support Go Pro 4 and 5?
Yes, it supports both of them. It comes with mounting brackets that you can use to fit them.
2- Yuneec Q500
This is one of the most popular under $500 drones. It comes with great filming capabilities. It produces less than 70db sound while flying 3 meters away.
The drone is also capable of recording 4k videos in 30fps. The company claims that it has some insulator materials on the drone body, which reduces the vibration and leads to an almost silent drone.
It also flaunts its 12MP camera, which comes with no distortion lens.
If you are looking for a drone for aerial videography and photography that comes under the 500 range, it could be a great fit for you. Below are some important features of Yuneec Q500.
- It has a three-axis gimbal with precise alignment, and you also get a remote with a built-in touchscreen.
- It is good for making slow-motion high-definition videos as you can record in 1080p and 4k with 30 to 120 frames per second.
- It is a bit bulkier and might not be very portable compared to other drones. LED Light Indicators make it look cooler.
How many batteries do we get with the drone?
You will only get one battery with the drone. Extra battery, you have to purchase separately.
Does this drone come with 3D Mapping as well?
No, It doesn’t. You have to buy Typhoon H for that.
How’s the build quality of the drone?
Does Yuneec Q500 come with the follow-me feature?
Yes, it has the follow-me feature.
3- ANAFI Parrot Drone
This is also a great option when it comes to quieter drones. This foldable quadcopter comes with a 4K Camera. It is very compact in size and easy to carry as well.
The drone’s camera can be moved in a 180-degree direction that gives it a broader field of view. Its 21MPcameraa comes with an f/2.4 wide-angle lens which makes it capable of recording in 2.7k and 4k.
You can easily zoom in and zoom out without losing the picture quality. You also get multiple mode options to take your experience to a completely different level.
It comes with a Li-Po battery which gets charged very quickly and provides you with around 25minutes of battery life. The drone can fly at 55 km/h, making it faster than the other drones in this price range.
- It weighs less than 320grams, making it very lightweight and easy to carry. You can even fit this drone inside your pocket as well.
- Multiple advanced features give this drone an edge, including Geofence, SmartRTH, and the Finds My Drone function.
- It has an automatic software update, so you don’t have to worry about manual installation. It will keep you posted with the latest ANAFI enhancements.
Does this drone have an altitude hold?
Fly the drone at a certain height and leave the controller. It will remain steady in the same position.
Does it support the VR Goggles?
It does have freefligh6 virtual reality mode, but there is no confirmation from the company regarding the Goggles compatibility.
Can I change the return to home in between flights?
Yes, you can. You can land it on your current location manually or with auto-landing mode.
Can I use a separate charger for the batteries?
You can. But it’s not recommended.
4- DJI Mavic 2 Pro
It was one of the quietest DJI drones that you can in 2019. It is small, has a good camera and has some advanced features that make it unique.
It comes with a Hasselblad L1D-20c camera which gives you amazing picture quality. You can also change the camera’s aperture, which gives you more flexibility in video making.
It comes with OcuSyc advanced technology, making 1080p transmission possible even though the drone is miles away from you.
The drone is faster, quieter, and has a better time duration. Below are some of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro features that you should know.
- It can fly up to 72kph in sports mode, making it fast. It can easily follow fast-moving cars and give you amazing footage.
- The drone is durable and promises a longer life as it has an advanced obstacle avoidance system. Obstacle sensors are installed on all sides of the drone.
- If you are buying the drone for professional filmmaking, then instead of buying the drone, buy the complete kit in which you will get an extra battery and other important accessories.
What is the price of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro?
The price of the drone is around 1500$.
What is the difference between Mavic’s two pro and pro?
There is no big difference. But you will see minor changes in build quality and features as well.
Should a beginner buy this drone?
The drone is safe to fly if spending 1500 dollars is not an issue for you. You can surely go for it.
Is Fly More Combo worth buying or not?
Fly More Deluxe Combo is recommended.
5- DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
This is also one of the best options if you are looking for a high-end drone that is quieter at the same time.
This compact small-size drone comes with amazing features that make it one of the most popular DJI Drone.
This drone is also loaded with Ocusync technology that gives you glitch-free transmission miles away from the drone.
- This comes with 8331 propellers that make drones quieter. The company claims that the noise level of the drone has been reduced to 60%.
- You also get 30 minutes of flight duration that is decent enough to give you a good time for aerial footage.
- The drone is for professionals and might seem a bit complex at the starting to fly. Take your time, learn all the modes, then only fly it at high speed.
Which is better, Mavic Pro 2 or Mavic Pro?
I would recommend Mavic Pro 2.
How’s the obstacle avoidance system of the drone?
It has improved a lot more. The chances of crashes have come down significantly.
Can this drone film in 2k?
Yes, it does.
How’s the build quality of the drone?
It’s compact and sturdy.
What Distinguishes a Silent Drone From Others?
These are points that make a good drone silent:
- It requires a strong body that can accommodate all of the drone’s internal functions. Noises can be heard when the motor, battery, and other components are exposed. If not managed appropriately, this can be rather inconvenient.
- A good drone will also feature physical materials that dampen the vibrations in its body. This implies it can keep such vibrations from happening and becoming too difficult to tolerate. This is a significant advantage because vibrations may be rather harsh.
- A hefty body may also make a big impact on your drone. When the materials are thick, there is less room for the drone’s noises to escape and cause a disturbance. However, the materials should be robust and low in weight, otherwise, the rest of the drone may become clogged.
So, These are some of the quieter drones that you can find in the market. Though there is no drone made till now, which is completely quiet.
In the future, we might see a lot of advancements and that can reduce noise pollution. Till then, keep learning and enjoy your drone.
- Make your Own DJI Hexacopter in a Single Day
- Smallest & Cheapest DJI Drone that you never heard of
- Best FPV Racing Drones in 2019
- Smallest 3D Gimbal Camera that revolutionized the Film making
- Company that sells more drones than DJI