This drone has brought a revolution in the autonomous drone industry. This self-flying quadcopter takes care of everything by itself.
The drone is available in many countries like Singapore, Australia, Canada, and India & Pakistan.
You can use this quadcopter on various occasions while biking, skiing, or snowboarding. It is going to be your best companion.
In the article, we’ll do the unboxing and cover all the essential aspects of the drone-like price; top sped, SDK, the processor, vs. DJI, camera specs, build quality, and much more.
So, read the whole article carefully, and at last, you can ask your questions, we’ll try to respond as soon as possible.
When it comes to consumer drones, the requirement may vary from person to person. Not every drone is suitable for everyone; the same goes for this drone.
If you are not looking for a costly autonomous drone, it is not a choice for you. I would say that it’s a particular niche, and it also has good demand among self-flying drones enthusiasts.
The company claims that it is one of the first and foremost drones capable of capturing amazing videos autonomously. Its HD camera with 4k quality allows you to create Instagram-ready videos.
Some people say that it’s not a drone. It’s a machine from the future. It has around 13 cameras and motion sensors that track the subject and obstacles around it.
The company is so confident about its flight that they don’t ship it with a controller.
The startup is based in California and has gained a lot of traction from all around the world because of its unique advanced features.
According to the Company, it uses Nvidia-made a computer used in self-driving cars.
This drone could be a perfect fit for action camera enthusiasts who want something that can fly.
They have received a mixed response, and let’s wait and see what the future holds for them. Below is the list of the items you would be getting with the product.
- Skydio R1 Drone with propellers
- Skydio R1 battery
- Skydio R1 charging set
- Gimbal lock
- USB cables
- Quick start guide
|Dimensions||5.08 cm*40.64 cm*33.02 cm|
|Weight||35.2 oz./1 kg|
|Flight time||16 minutes 21 minutes|
|Drone Weight||997g 430g|
|Camera Type||HD Video|
|Gimbal||2 Axis Stabilisation|
Watch the Video till the End
Autonomous Skydio R1 Drone Review
This section will talk about the different aspects of the drone that you should be aware of. We’ll cover the build quality, camera specs, flight performance, and much more.
If you are interested in buying the drone, you should read all the aspects thoroughly.
In case of any confusion, don’t forget to let us know in the comments below. We’ll try to respond as soon as possible.
Design & Build Quality
When it comes to design and build quality, you will surely be impressed by it. It has a black color coating with a glossy finish. The blue rims around the camera make it more stylish.
Excellent quality material is used in building the drone. It can easily survive minor crashes in case of a collision. The alloy metal is also used, which makes the drone very durable.
Though it looks very lightweight, it is a bit heavier than the Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 drones.
It weighs around 2.2 lbs and delivers an outstanding flight performance in windy conditions. Its built-in propeller guards protect the props all the time.
According to the company, when it comes to real-time data processing, the sensors used here are far more advanced than those used in DJI drones.
App & Smooth Autonomous Controlling
The app you would be getting to control the drone is very user-friendly and simple navigation.
The drone gives you a lot of important data; you don’t have to worry much here as everything here is taken care of autonomously.
There are a lot of other modes and control options available in the App. You can experiment with them and choose the one you like. You click on the “Tap to follow” mode, and it will start following you.
Here, the connection happens through wifi only to track the person holding the wifi-connected device, which could be a bit downside of its tracking system.
The app is supported by both Android and iOS devices. You can also make the connection through your apple watch. Don’t expect too much diverse application of it. It is suitable for specific usage, and it is terrific in that.
Camera & Gimbal Stabilization
The drone has a 4k camera and two-axis gimbal stabilization that gives you butter smooth pictures and videos. This two-axis stabilization allows the drone to look up and down, and you get the cinematic footage free from any jitter.
Most of the drones come with separate gimbal cameras that make them fragile, but here it is inbuilt with the body that makes the camera very secure. In case of any unfortunate crash, the camera won’t be affected.
Here, the camera provides you with cinematic footage and maps and tracks the environment simultaneously to avoid any collision.
It uses a brilliant processor, which helps the drone to have a smooth flight. You can use this drone in adventure sports like skateboarding, skiing, surfing, snowboarding, biking, and others.
Though many people wanted the three-axis stabilization instead of two, it still does a pretty good job.
It has breathtaking video quality. You can shoot the video in multiple frame rates depending on the requirement. You can shoot 4k videos at 30fps and 1080 videos at 60fps.
We have also embedded a one footage test video at the bottom; you can look at it, which will give you an idea of how good the drone is.
In some cases, users also found the movement a bit sudden and jittery, which will happen because everything is autonomous. As soon as its camera detects an obstacle, it will make a move.
The company has also published some cool videos on its official website to give you an idea about its footage quality.
Users said that if you are using the drone in a jungle, you will see a lot of jarring effects, while when you are using it in open ground, the footage will be more smooth.
Video quality also depends on the subject’s movement; if the subject moves fast, the drone might have difficulty following it.
In this section, we’ll talk about some of the advanced features of the drone which make this drone unique. So, let’s dive into all of these main aspects one by one.
- 360 Obstacle Avoidance: This is the forte of the drone, and it flies smoothly without a problem. It has 12 cameras inbuilt which give it a clear map of its surrounding
so that it can easily make its way without crashing down.
- Smart Modes: It also has intelligent flight modes, which allow the drone to perform a specific function. You can choose among Helix, Orbit, Waypoint, or Follow Me Modes. These different modes add fun to your flying experience and give you a top-notch cinematic look.
- Auto Landing: It also has an automatic take-off and landing feature that allows the drone to take care of everything by itself. The chances of crashing the drone are very higher when you are landing or crashing the drone. So, if you are not very good at flying, this mode will surely be a boon for you.
- Apple Smartwatch Connectivity: You can also connect your Skydio R1 with your Apple smartwatch. Connect the drone and give the instructions, and the drone will follow you automatically. It makes things very convenient, and you can easily enjoy the sport or a solo trip.
- Share on The Fly: It also has a share on the fly mode, which allows you to share the content on social media with a click of a single button. If you are an influencer and have a huge audience on Instagram, this feature will be a good companion for you.
Skydio R1 Pros & Cons
In this section, we’ll talk about the Pros and cons of Skydio R1. We’ll cover both the positive and negative sides of the drone. You can read this section, and you’ll have a clear idea about this quadcopter.
- The drone has very good built quality, and it looks pretty good as well. It is one of the drones in the world capable of completely autonomous flight that making it worth a $2500 investment.
- It also has very simple app navigation. You will become very good at it after using it for one day.
- The 360-degree obstacle avoidance system is completely flawless. It is very rare to see this drone crash.
- It has an inbuilt hard drive, and you also get HD quality 4k footage which you can use in creating fantastic content.
- Its huge price has prohibited a lot of consumers from going for it. At this price, you can buy 2 or 3 DJI Drones.
- It is not very portable as well. It’s heavier than other drones in the market.
- There are not many video customization options available. The battery life of the drone is also not very good.
I think Skydio is a drone that is not for everyone. Hands down, it is worth its price, but not everyone can easily afford it. The drone has a good quality build and some advanced features.
Safety is a critical factor for the drone. No matter where you fly, the chances of a crash are very less.
If you are looking for cheaper alternative options, then below, we have mentioned some other autonomous drones.
But, if you are excellent enough spending this much money, then Skydio R1 is the best choice for you. In case of any confusion, don’t forget to let us know in the comments below. We’ll try to respond as soon as possible.